Promote walking and cycling to improve the liveability of our community and our planet.
Holistic Approach to Pedestrian and Cyclist Issues
As more residents walk or cycle, rather than drive, the interaction between pedestrians and cyclists will grow. The APCW seeks holistic solutions, but recognises that harmonious interaction can only be achieved if both parties have safe infrastructure and respect the rules of the road.
The APCW advocates the promotion of walking and cycling primarily through investment in infrastructure by the City of Westmount to provide safe passage for residents choosing to walk or cycle, rather than driving their cars to work, to school or for errands. The APCW’s current priorities are listed below.
- Preparation of a Westmount Walking and Cycling Master Plan compatible with adjacent boroughs
- Safer pedestrian crosswalks
- Traffic calming and motorist awareness measures
- Special attention to vulnerable pedestrians (elderly, children, disabled)
- Year-round sidewalk maintenance and snow clearing (esp. major arteries and school zones)
- Play-safe streets
- Bixi stations in Westmount
- Keeping bike path on de Maisonneuve but improving pedestrian/cyclists interaction
- More bike paths to ensure safe passage for cyclists throughout Westmount
- Year-round bike paths
- More bike parking
- Improved maintenance of bike paths
- Cycling safety education focusing on courtesy towards pedestrians
- City budget lines for walking and cycling
For each initiative, the APCW will help identify issues and solutions, and will then try to help ensure prompt implementation. The activities of the former Westmount Cycling Association have been folded into the APCW.